Why do dogs need pet health supplements? A lot of my friends ask me this question when I tell them that dietary supplements can’t hurt a dog and they have the potential to help, particularly those that respond to the particular herbs used. In fact, I had the same question in my mind some time back and was looking for the answer.
There is an important thing you need to understand about pet supplements. Dogs, in general, do not need any dietary supplement. Nature has designed their body in such a way that they can cleanse their body and can stay healthy by eating what they normally eat. This is why you can often see dogs in the wild eating some herbs and other medicinal plants. This is a natural way for them to get the toxins out of their system. The situation of domesticated dogs, however, is completely different.
There are three things that differentiate domesticated dogs from dogs in the wild. They are
1. Domesticated dogs do not eat raw, unprocessed food. They usually eat commercial pet food.
2. They do not eat herbs and other natural substances to cleanse their body often. So, the toxins get stuck inside their system and cause a lot of problems.
3.They may lack physical exercise. Most dog owners are not available due to commitments such as work, to walk their dog as often as is needed.
This is why your pet dog is not as healthy or active as dogs in the wild. To improve its health, you should do three things.
1. Give your dog a nutritious diet that meets the AAFCO highest standard which states that “the nutritional adequacy was validated by animal feeding tests based on protocols from the American Association of Feed Control Officials”. Avoid labels from AAFCO that is manufactured at a lower standard which states that the “food was formulated to meet the group’s nutrient profiles.”
2. Give a regular dose of pet health supplements to your dog. These supplements can cleanse your dog’s body, flush out the toxins, and improve the functioning of its vital organs. This is very important for your dog’s health. It’s a small price to pay for an extra level of support.
3. Play with your dog, take him out for a walk, or do anything that keeps him physically active for some time. Physical exercise is very important for animals. Lack of physical exercise can make your dog weak and prone to health problems. If you want to increase your dog’s play, consider a Kong toy which uses a hidden treat to encourage activity and thinking.
As you can see, a combination of good diet, high quality pet supplements, and physical exercise can do a world of good for your dog’s health. Let me now tell you how to choose the best dietary supplement for your dog.
Avoid any supplement that contain chemicals, additives, and other unwanted substances. Go for natural supplements which are both effective and safe. Choose a good dietary supplement which contains effective organic substances like Huang Qi, mistletoe, milk thistle, and Indian ginseng. Most importantly, make sure the supplement is approved by the FDA. Also, you can get your vet’s opinion on the product.
The most important thing you should remember about pet health supplements is that they are meant to be given regularly. While you might notice a lot of improvement in your dog’s health in just about two or three months, you should give these supplements regularly to make sure your dog stays healthy for a long time.